Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Hasepoyo

Sports

Wimbledon confident of welcoming more than 25% of capacity


FILE PHOTO: Wimbledon General Views

FILE PHOTO: Tennis – Wimbledon General Views – All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, Britain – June 28, 2020 General view at the All England Lawn Tennis Club REUTERS/Toby Melville

Organizers of the Wimbledon Championships are confident that they will be able to host more fans than the current allowance of 25% of capacity at this year’s grasscourt Grand Slam following the latest easing of COVID-19 restrictions.

Britain moved to stage three of its roadmap for lifting lockdown restrictions from Monday with Prime Minister Boris Johnson aiming to lift all restrictions and re-open the economy on June 21.

The Wimbledon will start a week after on June 28 and organizers All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) said last month that they were planning for a 25% capacity.

“Further to the Stage 3 relaxation of restrictions and early positive indications from the Event Research Programme, we are confident that we will be able to increase our ticketing capacities for The Championships this year beyond the minimum 25% position we set out last month,” the AELTC said in a statement on Wednesday.

“This confidence is based in particular on the reintroduction of the rule of six indoors in restaurant settings from 17 May, and early indications that Stage 4 guidance could include similar relaxations of the guidance for sports stadia.”

Wimbledon was the only Grand Slam canceled last year due to the pandemic and it was the first time since World War II that the grasscourt major was not held.

Organizers have put in place a Minimised Risk Environment to satisfy health protocols, meaning players will be limited to a maximum of three in their entourage and will have to stay in designated hotels, rather than plush private near the venue.

The AELTC said they were staying flexible and delaying ticket sales till the middle of next month to have more clarity on the emergence of the fast-spreading B.1.617.2 variant of the virus which could derail the lifting of restrictions.

“For this reason, we are continuing to leave confirming our ticketing capacities until as late as possible, with all tickets to be made available via an online sale, which we anticipate commencing in mid-June,” the organizers said.

RELATED STORIES


Read Next

Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.





Source link

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

U.S.

The leader of a small hard-line party says he will try to form a unity government with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s opponents. Sunday’s...

Tech

The woman who led the design of Bumble’s dating app in the run-up to the company’s February initial public offering is joining Twitter Inc.,...

Tech

Video platform Rumble said it is receiving an investment from a group of prominent conservative venture capitalists including Peter Thiel and “Hillbilly Elegy” author...

U.S.

The Conservatives deleted a tweet on Thursday that leader Erin O’Toole has said was “detracting” from important conversations about the COVID-19 vaccine rollout...

Copyright © 2020 ZoxPress Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.